Thursday, 3 November 2011

2011-2012 Fast Trax Sponsored Athlete Team

Looks to be another exciting season for our Fast Trax Sponsored Athlete Team, with Patrick selecting skis, Jack trying to get everything here on time and Matt, Ember & Lukas training hard preparing for the upcoming season. The first on snow camp for these three will be in Lake Louise this coming weekend for the annual Lake Louise Camp put on by CCA and as luck would have it the grooming on Moraine Lake Road has begun. 


Lake Louise grooming equipment ready to go


The group have already been on snow as they were down in Canmore last weekend skiing in the 2km man made loop.


Everyone is looking fit and ready, this is going to be good!


Matt Saurette
Ember Large

Lukas Mark
Check back regularly for updates on these young skiers progress as they look to battle and find their very best.

Here is an summer update from Matt;

As summer and fall training are wrapping up, and the anticipation of the upcoming season build, I thought I would take a moment to reflect on the summer. Ironically, the start of my summer program was a ski camp in Silver Star BC. The camp, run through the Alberta World Cup Academy (AWCA), was a good kick in the butt to “shake the legs out” after a rest month and start to focus on technique again. It felt difficult to go from a relatively easy month to double training days in a matter of days. The camp had some great workouts in an amazing setting, skiing in June with a ton of snow, and got me excited for the months of training to come. After returning from BC, I continued with regular training and appreciated the fact that there was no school which allowed me to recover really well in between workouts.  I was also fortunate enough to go up to the Haig glacier a couple times throughout the summer and fall. Life on the Haig is something different; living on the Haig is a skier’s vacation and exemplifies the saying “Eat, sleep, ski” which we did while we were there. A week after the first Haig camp, the Alberta ski team left for Whistler. Besides the long drive, which wasn’t that bad due to the multiple monopoly games we played, the camp was awesome! We had perfect weather and completed many a long rollerski up to the Nordic center. However, one workout in particular was not so pleasurable. We were doing a ski bounding workout with the AWCA and on the very first interval I fell. You may be thinking “that’s not bad, especially when you are running”….well somehow I tripped on another athletes ankle and skidded one the only patch of pavement around in 500 meters. It wouldn’t have been that bad but I didn’t have a shirt on because it was extremely hot out. Needless to say it hurt, and after completing the workout my sweat drenched road rash burned. The positive was it was a good opportunity to improve my pain tolerance, as well I could barely felt my lactated legs. All in all it was a good summer of training and I am excited to start the season!