Summary (in case you don't want to read on):
- Underlayer - Rex RCF Pink
- Paraffin - Holmenkol Racing Mix (mid or cold, depending on temperature); OR
- Paraffin - Holmenkol Speed Base (mid or cold, depending on temperature)
- Base layer - Vauhti Superbase
- Kick wax - Vauhti K-line hardwax
|You're going to want this stuff.|
The trails continue to have an extremely transformed based, but the snow that has fallen has covered that up nicely. The improvement is dramatic. However, as the groomers prepare the trails, tilling will bring that old snow back to the surface.
Preliminary Glide Recommendations:
As a result of the new snow, the graphite underlayers we discussed in the previous post may pose a liability in terms of speed. Given the old (ancient) snow that is forming the based and the need for speed during the entire race, an underlayer will continue to be very important.
At the moment, Rex RCF Pink appears to be the way to go. Realistically, I would be shocked if this changes.
Race Paraffin Options:
We're at a little bit of a crossroads with respect to race paraffins, so you'll want to stay tuned on this one.
If there is significant snowfall prior to the race - Holmenkol Racing Mix (mid or cold, depending on temperature).
If there is not significant snowfall prior to the race - Holmenkol Speedbase (mid or cold, depending on temperature).
We love the Holmenkol paraffins as a stable, low liability solution that is fast as heck. There will be other reasonable options available from other manufacturers. We will provide some suggestions closer to the race.
Preliminary Kick Recommendations:
Based on the recent snowfall, it seems much less likely that the race will be skied on straight klister.
Base layer options:
- Vauhti Super Base - This is hands down our favourite hardwax binder. Super Base as the uncanny ability the not only improve the feeling and durability of the kick, but also make your skis faster. Neat, huh?
- Vauhti K-base Klister - If klister end up being in the mix, which seems less and less likely, this is what you are going to want. The elasticity and durability of this base klister makes it the best. No question.
Kick wax options:
Stay tuned for kick wax options as we get closer to the race. At the moment, the Vauhti K-line kick waxes are working extremely well.
What happens next?
We will be posting updates with increasing frequency as conditions change and as we approach the day of the race.